Wednesday, November 26, 2008

First time for everything

My first blog and my first post, with the feeling that this is one of those very slow learning curves I am beginning to really hate as a senior citizen. My first Internet experience came only 10 years ago, when I moved from very rural Montana to rural Kentucky. At the end of the first year, I had a professional farm website up for the horses, though it was designed and managed for me, as it still is.

I am not computer literate.I'm not even sure I want to be computer literate, though I have had to learn the basics, at least, to market the horses and ponies I have bred for the past 20 years. I am at least comfortable with email and in fact I now stay in touch with most of my acquaintences and friends with email rather than telephone ... but then I was never a telephone person either.

Being brought up on a remote Montana ranch where "modern conveniences" referred to having a pump on the back porch for running water and REA arrives only when you are in the 4th grade, you feel as if you are a generation behind most people.

The two years before my relocation to Kentucky, I again lived on a remote Montana ranch. In this case modern conveniences meant there was electricity. Period. Running water was a spring about 30 feet from the cabin. No indoor plumbing. Phone service was a cell phone in the pickup that operated at the top of the hill, a quarter mile drive.

I now have electricity, indoor plumbing, telephone service, television, Internet and computer but have to confess I found it easier in many ways going back to what I'd grown up with than in adjusting to "rural living" that seems to involve most of the elements of urban life.

1 comment:

Dana Clover said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! so far so good!